Systemd reread fstab for changes

Today was fun! Kind of. Today, I had the opportunity to learn a couple of things. I was migrating a server off of 3PAR over to an EMC VMAX. I have done this a few times, but today I ran into issues. The first issue was with powerpath. My manager insists we use it.

 I took care of all my prep tasks. I installed the powerpath rpm and when I ran systemctl to start it. It failed. I saw these errors in the messages file:

kernel: emcp: module license 'Proprietary' taints 
kernel. mcp: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting 
kernel Starting PowerPath: PowerPath could not load module emcp


I had recently updated my kernel to 4.1.12-94.2.1.el7uek.x86_64. So I assumed it had to do with the updated kernel and the powerpath module. I then checked EMC's support site and found that they had a new rev of powerpath. I had 6.1 installed, but 6.2 was out. Long story short, I updated to 6.2 and now everything works fine.

The next dilemma, and what this post is really about is fstab and systemd. When you first add entries to /etc/fstab and mount systemd runs something called systemd-fstab-generator. This creates unit files for each fstab entry. Be glad we aren't creating unit files. Editing fstab is more manageable. Anyway, I changed from file systems on whole disk to LVM. I then updated fstab using the same mountpoints. When I ran 'mount -a' 3 file systems did not mount. And I received no error from the mount command. After a google search. I found out how to resolve the issue. See systemd still has the original file system in its unit files. You need to run 'systemctl daemon-reload' to get it to recreate the units. You can then successfully run 'mount -a'

Comments